Friday, September 2, 2011

I better get AFLAC

Poor Dallin has is busy that it seems the bad things are always happening to him.  He was the first of my kids to require gluing something together.  So far he has cut both eyebrows and his chin, bit almost all the way through his tounge, split open the back of his head,  broken off both big toenails.  This morning he managed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and hit in the face with a falling napkin holder.  It cut him right under his eye 5 mins before he was supposed to leave for school.

So we headed to the ER instead.  Before we left Justin gave Dallin a blessing.  We hoped that this would him be more calm and relaxed at the hospital.  Dallin tends to be the most dramatic of all my kids when it comes to injuries.
The blessing seemed to help a little.  Dallin allowed the Dr to calm him down.  He had him lay like a mummy and think about Seven Peaks.  He told him to just imagine going on the slides over and over again.  This worked while they cleaned the wound and gave him the numbing shot.



picturing 7 peaks
After that he quickly freaked out.  Yelling I want to go home.  We tried to physically restrain him, but he was just too strong and wiggly.  We couldn't hold him.
trying to be a brave mummy














The Dr. made the decision that we needed to sedate him.  They had me hold him in my lap and hold one arm out of the way so they could put the IV in the other arm.  So I held him and tried to calm him.  I don't know if it was more traumatic for him or me.  I cried while he struggled against the needle.  It took a long time to get the sedation meds so we had to keep him from pulling out the IV.  He was so mad at us and just kept yelling at us to let him go.  Finally we turned on the TV and that seemed to help a little.  When they brought the meds he freaked out again, but after about 30 sec he was out.  The medicine wore off fast so they had to keep giving him more.  Even when he was out he was still fighting and I ended up having to sit on his legs and hold his arm so the IV wouldn't come out.




waiting for him to wake up.
After they got the three stitches in we just had to wait for him to wake up.  They did hurry and get the IV out while he was asleep, which was good because the first thing he tried to do when he woke up was rip it out.
As he slept I watched him.  Poor thing was so out of it.  I was grateful that we only in the hospital to get stitches.  I am go grateful for the health of my children.  They are crazy and loud but they are healthy.  I know that there are many parents who aren't so lucky.  I am continually amazed by these blessings in my life.


After Dallin woke up he demanded to go home.  We had to wait to make sure the medicine wore off okay.  They gave him a Popsicle and turned on the cartoons and he was good to go.  Just totally swollen.  He was able to go to school and it didn't seem to bother him.


I have learned that it is time to put AFLAC in the budget.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Poor Dallin. Oh we are so sad! We will pray for him. Hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I had no idea it was that bad! I thought it was just a little cut. Why was it so swollen??

    ReplyDelete